I have started water aerobics, and I find that I get a good workout without feeling as exhausted as I do after land aerobics. What is your opinion on water aerobics? I have also thought about jogging in water. Does an Aquajogger help?
Water exercise is one of the best non-impact fitness activities you can do. It can encompass all components of fitness including cardiovascular, muscular strength and endurance, and flexibility. Aerobic workouts in the pool are perfect during the hot summer months.
Keep in mind that in the water, your heart rate will be reduced by as much as 17 beats per minute as compared to land exercise. This is why it is very important for you to pay attention to how you feel. Your heart rate may indicate that your intensity is too low when you are actually exercising quite strenuously.
You mention water jogging. This is an ideal workout to help you log miles without the impact you’d incur on land. You may want to try these tips:
- Use a buoyancy belt to keep you afloat. You can also use the side of the pool for stability.
- When jogging in water, the water line should be at shoulder level.
- Arm motion should be the same as during land-based running. Move at the shoulder joint.
- Relax your ankles so they flex and extend when moving them through the water.
- Lift your knee to just below the waist as you are jogging.